AleksandarNakic, Getty Images/Graphic by Jocelyn Runice
Crunch time? Good news: That doesn’t have to mean actual crunches. Or planks. Chosen by NYC-based trainer Rebecca Kennedy, these six moves will do an amazing job of strengthening your midsection—from all the angles. Killer? Yeah. But totally worth the burn.
And while there’s nothing wrong with sticking to the classics (after all, planks are fitness mainstays for a reason), you definitely don’t have to continue doing that monotonous abs routine you’ve done 100 times. But don’t forget—if you want to see results, you need to stick with a regular training routine that works your entire body, log cardio workouts, and maintain a healthy, balanced diet. But when you want to mix up your core workout, try these seriously effective moves, as shown by Kennedy herself.
1. Kneeling Twisting Deadlift
Graphic by Jocelyn Runice
- Start in a kneeling position with your shoelaces on the floor and your hands behind your head.
- Drive your hips back as you lower your chest towards the floor, maintaining a flat back and braced core.
- Lift your upper body back to starting position. As you’re coming up, squeeze the glutes and drive the hips forward.
- Once your body is upright, twist your upper body to the left, then to the right.
- Continue for 45 seconds.
The post 6 Ultra-Effective Abs Moves That Aren’t Planks Or Crunches appeared first on SELF.