Jordan Lutes / Getty Images
It’s true, Adele IS all of us at the gym. Earlier this year the singer shared a picture of what we all look like at the gym when someone says there is another round of burpees (or in her case, cable resistance exercises). Cue the sob.
Sure, not every training session is fun, but when you’re doing moves that you know are effective, it makes all of the moaning and soreness ~extra~ worth it. That’s why these three exercises are a great option for when you want to do something good for your muscles without spending too much time at the gym. In fact, you don’t have to step foot in a gym at all to do this routine.
So give the three-move circuit below a try. To do it, complete all reps for each exercise before moving on to the next move. Then take a 30-second breather and do the mini circuit one more time. Do it for you, do it for Adele.
1. Lunge With Twist — do 20, alternating sides with each rep
- Start standing with feet hip-width apart and arms at shoulder-height with elbows bent forming a goal post around head.
- Take a big step forward with right foot and bend knees to lower into lunge while twisting torso over right leg.
- Return to standing.
- Do 20 reps alternating sides with each rep.
2. Extension Balance — do 12 reps on each side
- Start on all fours with hands under shoulders, knees below hips; one weight (start with five pounds) in right hand.
- Lift right arm in front of body while extending left leg behind you. Lower back to start position.
- Do 12 reps, then switch sides.
- No dumbbell, no problem. Do this exercise using your bodyweight only, or grab a full water bottle for a little extra resistance.
3. Sumo Squat Half Burpee — do 12 reps
- Start in high plank with shoulders above wrists and abs tight.
- Jump feet forward landing outside of hands.
- Lift hands off floor and lift torso.
- Return palms to floor and jump back to plank position.
- Do 12 reps.
Now take a quick 30-second rest and repeat this circuit one more time.
These moves are from Los Angeles-based trainer Astrid Swan (she’s also the pro demonstrating the move by the way) and are part of last year’s SELF fall fitness challenge. If you want more effective toning moves and fat-burning cardio routines make sure you sign up for the all-new 6 Weeks To Summer Challenge. We’re all starting together on April 16!
Photographed by Justin Steele; modeled by Astrid Swan. Hair and Makeup by Sacha Harford at NEXT ARTISTS. Apparel: Heroine Sport, Jaggad from Bandier Fit. Sneakers: APL